“Clouds Without Water”
A Biblical Critique of the Word of Faith Movement
“Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which you have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting.” (Romans 16:17-18)
In addition to expository preaching, another aspect of Justin’s ministry is the three session seminar which he has developed entitled “Clouds Without Water,” formerly called “A Call for Discernment.” This seminar is a fair, comprehensive, biblical critique of the modern Word of Faith movement. Word-Faith theology (W-F) dominates Christian satellite and cable television and is making alarming inroads into more theologically conservative, evangical churches. This seminar contains dozens of audio and video clips (primarily the latter) of various W-F preachers such as Benny Hinn, Kenneth and Gloria Copeland, Jesse Duplantis, Andrew Wommack, John Hagee, T.D. Jakes, Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen, Rod Parsley, Creflo Dollar, Joseph Prince, Bill Johnson, etc. incorporated into a PowerPoint format. This format allows people to see and hear for themselves what these individuals are actually teaching. Everything then is, in turn, balanced with Scripture.
Clouds Without Water is comprised of an introductory session, “The Duty of Discernment” and 3 primary sessions, “Dangerous Doctrines,” “Mangled Manifestations,” and “The Hurt of Healing.”
- The Duty of Discernment – This session, typically presented in the Sunday morning service, defines the W-F movement, defines discernment, gives the biblical precedent for it, and answers some of the common objections people will raise (e.g., “Judge not, ” “You shouldn’t name names,” and “Touch not My anointed,” etc.) from Scripture. This session is approximately one hour in length though it can be shortened a bit if need be.
- Dangerous Doctrines – This is the first primary session and in it we will explore the metaphysical cultic origins of the movement as well as some of the standard doctrines which the Faith preachers teach that deviate from historical Christianity. We will look at the doctrines of Positive Confession, the Little gods doctrine, Softening of Sin, Spiritual Death of Jesus (SDJ), and ther errant Christology.
- Mangled Manifestations – In this session we will explore some of the more dramatic and spectacular things of the charismatic/W-F movement such as the abuse of the gift of tongues, the practice of being slain in the Spirit, people who claim they have been to Heaven (ex: Jesse Duplantis, Don Piper, and Colton Burpo, etc.), false prophecies, and how God does and does not speak to us today.
- The Hurt of Healing – In this final session we will examine the issue of physical healing. Is it always God’s will for a believer to be healed? Is healing provided for in the Atonement (per Isaiah 53:4-5)? If a person is not healed is it because he does not have enough faith or has not “sown a seed to reap a harvest”? (No.) Does God still heal people today? (Yes, but only when it is His will.)
The “Duty of Discernment” is approximately 1 hour in length and each of the 3 primary sessions is approximately 80-90 minutes.
- Sunday, November 17, 2019 @ 9:15am: A 'Q&A' session with Justin Peters
- Sunday, November 17, 2019 @10:30am: Session One
- Sunday, November 17, 2019 @5:30pm: Session Two
- Sunday, November 17, 2019 @7:00pm: Session Three
- Monday, November 18, 2019 @7:00pm: Session Four
- Tuesday, November 19, 2019 @7:00pm: Session Five